Monday, March 16, 2009

Oopsie...

I forgot to Ponder yesterday.  I didn't even read Proverbs 15.  Since starting this challenge, I've been reading my Proverb of the Day on Biblegateway, so as not to be influenced by all the writing I do in my Bible.

I'm happy to report that I didn't spend much time on the internet yesterday, and that is my excuse.  My apologies.

My favorite verse from chapter 15, which incidentally, may be in the running for longest running sticky note on my mirror award...

15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

And oh, don't I know it.

What I did read yesterday, was Romans 2 and 3.  I came across a link to a section from Romans 3 that made me stop in my tracks last night while reading, and now this very early morning, the Lord has brought me back to it again.

Romans 3:21-26 (New International Version)

Righteousness Through Faith

21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,[a] through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

What struck me last night was the fact that I knew 23 by heart, but I didn't know 24.  I appreciate the Romans Road to salvation as much as the next guy, but I have a small problem with it.  It kind of leaves you stranded on the side of the road, happy to be going to Heaven when you die, but with no idea what to do with yourself until then.

I digress.

My point is - verse 23 is the bad news.  Why didn't someone tell me to memorize and share the next verse?  The freeing, life giving, as always JESUS SAVES THE DAY rest of the sentence.

sigh.

I may have a small root of bitterness lodged somewhere toward my early "church upbringing".  


Grace grace grace.

Grace.

No comments: