Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Holy 3rd Proverb, Batman!

Well - I'm sure glad I got to this earlier than later. I couldn't choose just one if Jack Bauer felt inclined to make me.

I'm pretty sure this is my all time favorite Proverb, and I'm also pretty sure  I could park it here for the rest of the month and still not have it all down.  I think I'll memorize the whole chapter.  Hopefully, by the end of the month.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

So...

I love verse 3.

Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
bind them around your neck,
write them on the tablet of your heart.

Oh, how I would love to live in this for more than 15 minutes. Love. I get it. I Corinthians 13 makes it pretty clear. Without Love... Ya got nuthin'. Or something like that... ;) So why do I snap at my husband, judge my neighbor and kick the dog on a daily basis? Just kidding, of course... I'm more of a once a week dog kicker... Ha! Sorry - cracking myself up over here...

Moving on.

5 and 6 are classics...  I dare you to show me a christian cupboard that doesn't have a mug with these verses on it in it.  Right?  Yours doesn't?  Mine either, but you get my point.


Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

I'll resist the urge to repeat a bunch of stuff I said in this post.

I love this next section. 13-18


Blessed is the man who finds wisdom,
the man who gains understanding,

14 for she is more profitable than silver
and yields better returns than gold.

15 She is more precious than rubies;
nothing you desire can compare with her.

16 Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor.

17 Her ways are pleasant ways,
and all her paths are peace.

18 She is a tree of life to those who embrace her;
those who lay hold of her will be blessed.

She and her are referring back to wisdom (and maybe knowledge). Makes you want to get some of that, right? All her paths are peace? Come on, now! I'm there.


One more and then it will be class dismissed.... 21-24

My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment,
do not let them out of your sight;

22 they will be life for you,
an ornament to grace your neck.

23 Then you will go on your way in safety,
and your foot will not stumble;

24 when you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

Do you see what I mean about this one? Wowza!

Here's a recap:

love
faithfulness
wisdom
understanding
sound judgement
discernment

Quite a to do list.

Speaking of, this bad boy has 35 verses.  I may need more than a month.

Class dismissed.

No comments: