Friday, February 27, 2009

Today's Proverb

Okay - it was bugging me that I was talking about a Proverb that didn't come from the same day's reading. Now I will be caught up and referencing a Proverb that comes from the chapter that corresponds to the date.

Sorry, I'm neurotic like that....

Proverbs 27:2

Let another praise you and not your own mouth; someone else and not your own lips.

It really bugs me when people toot their own horn. Well, I should clarify. It bugs me when people do something that they feel led to do, and say that they did it for God's glory, but then they tooted their own horn about having done it. I have these tendencies, of course, so that's why I notice it when others do it. Ugh.  I wrote in my Bible next to this verse "credit". Wanting credit when we deserve no credit. Our righteousness is as filthy rags.

I often say after a delicious meal or dessert that I've prepared, "Not to toot my own horn, but toot toot."  This is so not what I'm talking about, but I bet I'll still feel like a jerk when I say it from now on....  ;)

No comments: