Saturday, February 28, 2009

Proverb to Ponder

Proverbs 28:23

He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor
than he who has a flattering tongue.

I have come to understand and respect the value of a rebuke from a close friend. I talked a little about it here. I used to really hesitate to return the favor, especially for one friend in particular. I would always start by saying "I didn't want to tell you this, but..." She came to dread those words. One day she brought the above verse to my attention.  In time, I began to see the value in speaking truth into the lives of people who value it. 

Please note - this is not some thing to be taken lightly.  I don't recommend assuming that some one is interested in your opinion.  Proverbs also speaks about wise men loving to be rebuked.  I think it's important to have a conversation and a mutual understanding about these matters.  

One of my favorite pastors once made a really good point about holding non-believers to our standards.  He talked about Paul's writings and the fact that he was writing to the church. Fellow believers who had willingly entered into an accountability relationship.  He made the point that Love is not rude, and when we point out sin where our opinion wasn't requested?  That's rude.  I have to agree.  Such a simple way to look at, yet so very true.  I think the tendency to do the opposite is what has earned so many Christians the reputation of being judgmental.  Wouldn't you agree?  I think holding a mirror up to anyone who didn't invite you to do so is most likely not going to be well received.  Something to think about...

Tomorrow is March 1st!  Who is with me for the Proverb a Day Challenge?  Just read 1 chapter of Proverbs each day!

No comments: