Saturday, May 30, 2009

Well, so much for every day, right?

Oh well.  What can you do?  

I just finished the Beth Moore study I've been working on for, well, ever.  I've mentioned it before and I highly recommend it.

To Live Is Christ, is definitely one of my favorites!  I loved learning more about Paul and following him along on all of his missionary travels.  If you've ever done a Beth Moore study, you know that she goes deep and digs up historical references that would be the envy of your local librarian.  One of the absolute best tid bits I've ever come across was included in the final study of Paul's life.  

She is talking about 2 Timothy 4:7-8

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

Apparently, his reason for using this analogy was one final jab at the Roman Emperor, Nero, who was responsible for his execution.  Beth mentions Nero "competing" in the Olympic games, and here's what I found when I googled it.  Gotta love google.... Oh, and Wikipedia, of course!

Nero was convinced to participate in the Olympic Games of 67 in order to improve relations with Greece and display Roman dominance.[102] As a competitor, Nero raced a ten-horse chariot and nearly died after being thrown from it.[103] He also performed as an actor and a singer.[104] Though Nero faltered in his racing (in one case, dropping out entirely before the end) and acting competitions,[103] he won these crowns nevertheless and paraded them when he returned to Rome.[103] The victories are attributed to Nero bribing the judges and his status as emperor.[105]

So then Paul says, I have finished the race!  Then makes reference to the crown that waits for him in Heaven.

I don't know about you, but I think that's awesome.  Sadly, his boldness, could have been the final nail in his coffin, but if I learned anything about Paul, it's that that boy did not dance around the truth. 

Regardless of the consequences.

No comments: