Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Rock your Spouses World For Valentine's Day






I mentioned that my husband and I read The Five Love Languages by Dr. Gary Chapman, right? Well, let me just tell you... Applying the concepts of this book HAS WORKED FOR US!

I'm currently working on a device to assist me in kicking myself for not reading this book four or five years ago when I actually bought it. If I had known then, what I know now...

If you're husband is like mine, he may not jump at the chance to read a book you recommend. I was a little worried about putting myself out there. Again. I'll be honest, I was a little desperate. I was formulating my back up plan if he didn't cooperate. I'm REALLY glad he did. I had no good ideas for a back up plan... If this is you - be very careful how you approach it with hubby. Delivery is everything.

When I told my husband that I had read the book and felt like it could really help us with issues we've been dealing with for the entire 10 years (almost) we've been married, I was as serious as a heart attack. When I told him that one of the couples used as an example in the book described us PERFECTLY and it revolutionized their marriage, I think I got his attention. I told him that I believed that if we were willing to implement the concepts in the book, that we would likely see an immediate difference. I had no idea how right I was. 

Let me also just say that we have made a concerted effort to communicate well no matter how hard or unnatural it may be at times, and we truly have a wonderful marriage.  We were not, however, speaking each others primary love language.  We were doing what all people do - we were communicating love to each other in our own primary love language.  That's what you do unless you know better.

So, I challenge you. If you don't know with absolute certainty what your spouse's (or children or friend's)primary love language is, you should really find out. Don't guess, don't assume. If you haven't read the book, read it! You won't regret it. You can also take a quick quiz here. 

What better way to bless your spouse for Valentine's day?  Love them in the language that they can understand best.  Help them to understand how to do the same for you!  Make it a Valentine's day you'll never forget.  I know ours will be one for the record books!

For more great tips, visit Rocks in My Dryer.

1 comment:

Kaycee said...

Good for you on working things out with your husband. I will have to check out that book, our marriage is fine but we could be better communicators.